Sweet potato and cheese muffins
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions (including green tops), ends trimmed, chopped
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray muffin tins with oil or line with paper cases.
- Sift flours into a medium sized bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Mix in sweet potato, cheese, capsicum, spring onion and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk milk and eggs together.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix through until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until muffins are firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack.
Muffins freeze well in snap-lock bags, but are best eaten on the day they are made.
- Replace sweet potato with potato or pumpkin.
- Replace capsicum with ¾ cup corn kernels.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||491 kJ||716 kJ|
|Protein||5 g||7.4 g|
|Fat, total||1.9 g||2.8 g|
|— saturated||0.8 g||1.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||19 g||27.6 g|
|— sugars||2.1 g||3 g|
|Sodium||193.6 mg||282.2 mg|
|Fibre||1.7 g||2.4 g|