Berry rhubarb meringue pots
- 4 stalks rhubarb, cut into 5cm lengths
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160°C fan forced).
- Place rhubarb, apples, berries, juice or water and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until rhubarb is soft but apples retain their shape.
- In a clean dry bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks have formed. Add sugar and beat until sugar has dissolved.
- Divide cooked fruit between 4 small 1-cup capacity overproof bowls and top with meringue, shaping into a peak. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
Alternatively bake in a large 1 litre capacity overproof dish.
Fruit can be cooked, covered, in a heat-proof microwave-safe dish on HIGH (100%) for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Substitute pears or nashi fruit for apples.
- Omit meringue top and serve stewed fruit in a breakfast parfait or simply with low fat yoghurt.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||712 kJ||222 kJ|
|Protein||5.5 g||1.7 g|
|Fat, total||4.4 g||1.4 g|
|— saturated||0.4 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||23 g||7.2 g|
|— sugars||22.4 g||7 g|
|Sodium||40.9 mg||12.8 mg|
|Fibre||7.1 g||2.2 g|