Healthy Steak Sandwich With Caramelised Onions Recipe
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 large red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pepper, to taste
- 4 large thin field mushrooms, stalks removed (optional)
- 4 beef rump sandwich or minute steaks (100g each), trimmed of fat
- 3/4 Turkish bread loaf or pide (300g)
- 6 pickled cucumbers or gherkins, sliced thinly lengthways
- 425 g can beetroot, drained
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups rocket or baby spinach, firmly packed
- Mix mayonnaise and garlic together in a cup and set aside.
- Spray a small non-stick frypan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until golden. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until onion caramelises. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or griddle pan on high heat. Spray both sides of mushrooms and steaks with oil and season with pepper. Place mushrooms on grill and cook for 3 minutes each side until cooked through; set aside.
- Reheat grill, add steak and cook for ½ to 1 minute each side, depending on thickness and until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover to keep warm.
- Cut bread crossways into 4 pieces then cut each in half lengthways. Toast or grill both sides of bread then spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice.
- Place bread open-faced in the centre of a serving plate. Top the base with steak, mushroom, gherkin and onion. To the bread top, add beetroot, tomato and rocket or spinach leaves.
- Carefully sandwich both bread halves together and serve.
- Replace beef with halved skinless chicken breast, 100g thin trimmed kangaroo steaks or remove meat altogether for a vegetarian option.
- Add a slice of fresh pineapple, barbequed for 1 to 2 minutes each side until golden.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2279 kJ||436 kJ|
|Protein||38 g||7 g|
|Fat, total||13 g||2 g|
|— saturated||3 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||64 g||12 g|
|— sugars||24 g||5 g|
|Sodium||1009 mg||193 mg|
|Fibre||9 g||2 g|