Healthy Thai Fish Cakes With Crunchy Salad Recipe
- 400 g firm white boneless fish fillet, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 4 stems fresh coriander, roots discarded
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 1 tbs lemon or lime juice
- 1 egg
- 150 g green beans, trimmed, cut into 1cm rounds
- 1/2 small red capsicum, seeded and diced
- olive or canola oil spray, to serve
- lemon or lime wedges
- 1/2 small red capsicum, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 continental or 2 large Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup coriander stalks and leaves, chopped, extra
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1 red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbs lemon or lime juice, extra
- 1 1/2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Place fish, garlic, coriander, curry paste, juice and egg into a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined and is a smooth paste consistency.
- Transfer to a large bowl with diced red capsicum and the green beans. Mix until well combined.
- With damp hands, using 2 tablespoons of mixture at a time, shape mixture into 12 balls. Flatten into 1cm thick patties.
- Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place over medium heat. Place 6 fish cakes evenly around the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes then flip and brown on reverse side for a further 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Begin to prepare salad by adding remaining ½ red capsicum, thinly sliced, to a large bowl. Using a teaspoon, discard seeds from cucumber. Slice thinly on the diagonal and add to capsicum along with bean sprouts, extra coriander, mint and chilli.
- To make the dressing, combine extra juice, sweet chilli and fish sauce in a cup and pour over salad just before serving.
- Divide fish cakes and salad among serving plates.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges, if desired.
Fish cakes can be steamed in the microwave rather than browned in a pan. Place fish cakes around the outer edge of a large microwave-safe plate lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 12-15 minutes or until firm and cooked through.
- Reduce red curry paste to ½ tablespoon for a less spicy, child-friendly version.
- Include other salad ingredients such as sliced red or spring onion, snow pea sprouts, halved cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves or mixed salad greens.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||942 kJ||312 kJ|
|Protein||29 g||10 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||3 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||7 g||2 g|
|— sugars||5 g||2 g|
|Sodium||442 mg||146 mg|
|Fibre||5 g||2 g|
You might also like
Crab Salad With Noodles
Infused with Asian flavours, this noodle salad is a light but satisfying meal ready in less than 30 mins!