Healthy Chilli Mussels Recipe
- 500 g mussels
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 6 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread
- Clean and rinse mussels well.
- Place oil, onion, garlic and chilli into a saucepan and cook until just coloured.
- Add tinned tomatoes, sugar and mussels to the saucepan.
- Stir and simmer until mussels open, then remove from heat and throw out mussels that have not opened.
- Toast bread and serve on the side.
Recipe from More Deadly Tucker cookbook (2013), North Metropolitan Health Service © State of Western Australia, reproduced with permission. Order the More Deadly Tucker cookbook here.
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||994 kJ||363 kJ|
|Protein||20.8 g||7.6 g|
|Fat, total||5.2 g||1.9 g|
|— saturated||1.2 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||23.7 g||8.6 g|
|— sugars||8.1 g||3 g|
|Sodium||782 mg||285 mg|
|Fibre||5.4 g||2 g|