Healthy Rosemary Lamb With Sicilian Vegetables Recipe
- 4 x 120 g lamb leg steaks, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 8 baby potatoes, unpeeled and washed
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes with basil, onion and garlic
- 2 tbs balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted and sliced
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Slice steaks in half lengthways and add to a dish with 2 cloves crushed garlic and the finely chopped leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary.
- Coat lamb with garlic and rosemary and set aside while vegetables are prepared.
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place on high heat. Add lamb and sear on both sides for 30 seconds until browned. Remove from the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Cook onion with remaining 2 cloves garlic over medium to high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often; add celery and eggplant and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini, capsicum, tomatoes, vinegar, olives and remaining 2 rosemary sprigs; season with pepper.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes, or longer if time permits, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove rosemary sprigs.
- Return lamb to the pan to cook for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Place lamb on serving plates then stir basil through vegetables and serve with potatoes.
This eggplant and vegetable stew known as ‘Caponata’ is great served warm or cold on bread, polenta, gnocchi or as a pasta sauce.
Cover bowl, refrigerate and marinate lamb for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2187 kJ||337 kJ|
|Protein||45.8 g||7.1 g|
|Fat, total||16.1 g||2.5 g|
|— saturated||3.9 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||41.4 g||6.4 g|
|— sugars||13.1 g||2 g|
|Sodium||791 mg||122 mg|
|Fibre||11.6 g||1.8 g|
You might also like
Indonesian Slow Cooked Beef 3-2-1
This fragrant beef and vegie combo will have you dreaming of your next Indonesian get-away.