Healthy Japanese Sesame Tuna Rice Bowl Recipe
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- to taste pepper
- For the salad:
- 425 g tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- 2 x 250 g pouches microwavable brown rice
- 1 carrot, peeled into long ribbons
- 200 g snow pea, sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds (cutting on the diagonal)
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and sliced lengthways
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions (including green tops), sliced into thin rounds (cutting on the diagonal)
- to taste pickled ginger, optional
- To make dressing, combine tahini, water, honey, soy, garlic and pepper to taste. Mix half the dressing into the drained tuna.
- Microwave rice according to packet instructions then divide among serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with carrot, snowpeas, cucumber, radish, avocado and tuna placed neatly around the bowl in its own area.
- Drizzle over remaining dressing, sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with spring onions and pickled ginger (if using). Best served while rice is warm.
- Replace rice with cooked quinoa, barley or wholemeal couscous, or other wholegrain.
- Include vegies such as shredded cabbage, sliced red capsicum, snow pea sprouts, canned corn, edamame or broad beans, broccolini, sweet potato, pumpkin, sliced green beans or asparagus.
- Substitute tuna with tinned salmon or 400g cooked tuna, salmon, prawns, skinless chicken, lean beef or tofu.
- To enhance their flavour, toast sesame seeds in a dry non-stick pan for 1-2 minutes until golden.
Still hungry? Try a side of salad or vegies before going for seconds.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2267 kJ||470 kJ|
|Protein||28.4 g||5.9 g|
|Fat, total||23.9 g||5 g|
|— saturated||4.3 g||0.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||48.5 g||10.1 g|
|— sugars||8.3 g||1.7 g|
|Sodium||506 mg||105 mg|
|Fibre||9.7 g||2 g|
You might also like
Salmon Salad Wrap
Filled with salmon, cucumber and spinach, these wraps are winners as they are or toasted.