- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- Mix all dry ingredients together, and then add water.
- Knead and then shape dough to about 1 – 1½ inches thick.
- Options for cooking:
- To cook over an open fire: scrape off half of the coals and sand on the fire. Put a thick layer of plain flour on the hot sand, place damper on the
flour and then put another thick layer of plain flour on the damper. Cover carefully with hot sand and coals. Leave for about 30 minutes, then remove from fire and brush off.
- To cook on a stove: sprinkle flour in a frypan and heat over moderate heat. Place mixture in the pan and shake occasionally to prevent sticking. When mixture slides easily in pan turn over. Knock the top of the damper; it will make a dull sound when it is cooked.
- To cook in the oven: sprinkle flour on an oven tray and heat in 180°C oven. Flatten the dough to an oval or round shape and place on the oven tray. Bake in oven for ½ an hour. Then turn and bake on the other side for another ½ an hour.
Recipe from Deadly Tucker cookbook (Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander-FOODcents manual, 2006), North Metropolitan Health Service, Department of Health WA, reproduced with permission.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2122 kJ||1041 kJ|
|Protein||16.3 g||8 g|
|Fat, total||2.6 g||1.3 g|
|— saturated||0.5 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||98.1 g||48.1 g|
|— sugars||1.9 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||323.2 mg||158.5 mg|
|Fibre||10.6 g||5.2 g|
You might also like
Roasted Cauliflower & Barley Salad 3-2-1
The tangy yoghurt and cumin dressing is the hero of this satisfying salad.
Banish lunchtime boredom with a rainbow of colours packed between slices of fresh bread.