Healthy Shakshuka (Pan Baked Eggs) Recipe
- olive or canola oil spray
- medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 200 g mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 440 g can salt-reduced baked beans
- 800 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 125 g baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- Spray a large frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix through baked beans, canned tomatoes, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Increase heat and to bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add spinach leaves and gently mix until they start to wilt; sprinkle over cherry tomatoes.
- Using a spoon, create 6 little wells, then crack each egg into a well. Cover pan with lid and cook until whites are firm and yolks are just set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with parsley and serve immediately.
Variation: For extra heat, add 2-3 chopped green chillies or jalapenos when adding canned tomatoes.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||935 kJ||259 kJ|
|Protein||14.2 g||3.9 g|
|Fat, total||9.8 g||2.7 g|
|— saturated||2.2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.9 g||4.4 g|
|— sugars||9.8 g||2.7 g|
|Sodium||441.8 mg||122.3 mg|
|Fibre||8.1 g||2.2 g|