Healthy Green Pea Soup Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 3 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 500 g frozen peas
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- to taste pepper, to serve
- 4 tbs low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- 4 slices grainy bread or roll, to serve
- Heat a large pot and spray with oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring often until softened but not browned.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute then add stock and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then add peas and mint.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer, covered, for a further 2 minutes, ensuring peas remain bright green.
- Remove from heat and puree with a stick mixer or in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Ladle soup into bowls, season with pepper and serve immediately with a swirl of yoghurt, mint leaf garnish and bread.
Variation: Substitute a sliced leek for onions.
Serving Suggestion: >This recipe requires a food processor, stick mixer or blender to get a nice smooth texture. >As an appetiser, canape or palate cleanser, serve soup chilled in shot glasses with a small dollop of yoghurt and mint leaf garnish.
Comment: *Use vegetable or vegetarian chicken stock to make this recipe vegetarian *To make this recipe dairy-free, use a dairy-free yoghurt alternative or leave off altogether. *To make this recipe gluten-free, choose a gluten-free bread alternative.
Still hungry? Try a side of salad or vegies before going for seconds.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1342 kJ||248 kJ|
|Protein||18.4 g||3.4 g|
|Fat, total||4.7 g||0.9 g|
|— saturated||0.7 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||43.6 g||8.1 g|
|— sugars||10.5 g||1.9 g|
|Sodium||976 mg||180 mg|
|Fibre||15.4 g||2.8 g|