Date and muesli slice
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 apples, core removed, coarsely grated with skin on
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups dates, seeded
- 2 cups natural muesli
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a slice tin (approx. 25x30cm) with oil.
- Add apple, water, margarine and dates to a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes and stir occasionally until mixture thickens to a paste-like consistency.
- While apple and date mixture is cooking, place muesli in a large frypan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add cinnamon and muesli to the flours and mix to combine.
- Stir into the date mixture then spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin before cutting.
Use wooden or plastic spoon to stir muesli so your frypan doesn’t get scratched.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||383 kJ||1003 kJ|
|Protein||1.6 g||4 g|
|Fat, total||1.7 g||4.4 g|
|— saturated||0.4 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||16.7 g||43.8 g|
|— sugars||10.6 g||27.7 g|
|Sodium||14.1 mg||36.9 mg|
|Fibre||2.3 g||6 g|