Fast and fresh work lunches
by Gael Myers, Accredited Practising Dietitian
- July 12, 2021
- Leave a comment
Packing your own lunch for work is a great way to save money and help you avoid the temptation of ordering in greasy takeaway when you're under the pump.
It doesn’t get easier than a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts if you’re looking for a healthy, no-nonsense work lunch. To build the perfect sandwich, aim to include:
- Grainy or wholemeal bread, roll or wrap
- Plenty of salad or cooked vegies
- A protein-rich food like cheese, shredded chicken, tuna, hummus, roast beef or egg.
For healthy sandwich inspo, check out these recipes.
There’s nothing wrong with a sanga, but if you’d prefer something different there are plenty of other quick and easy options.
Make extra at dinner time to take for lunch the next day. Bonus points if there's enough to stash a few serves in the freezer!
The desk drawer pantry
There are loads of shelf-stable foods that mean you can always have a balanced meal ready to go in your desk drawer. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Oats, muesli or weetbix
- Tinned/bottled fruit in juice
- Nut butters
- Grainy crackers
- Long-life milk
- Tinned tuna or salmon
- Microwave rice or pasta
- Tinned vegies and beans
- Nuts and seeds e.g. cashews, peanuts, flaked almonds, sunflower seeds
- Chilli sauce, reduced-salt soy sauce, balsamic or apple cider vinegar
Use these as an emergency back-up or as a base to add a few fresh things from home.