by Clare O'Shea, Media and Communications Officer
Mother’s Day is about showering the important women in your life with love. Whether it’s your mum, grandma, sister or aunt, everyone deserves to be treated special on Mother’s Day. This year show her how much she means to you with thoughtful gifts and healthy, delicious meals.
Instead of giving mum any old bottle of wine or box of chocolates why not try something a little different? Our unique, homemade gifts are the perfect way to show just how much you care. The following ideas are tasty, affordable and you guessed it… healthy!
You can get potted herbs at hardware stores, garden stores and even at the supermarket! They all look and smell lovely. Basil and mint are hardy and happy to spend their life in a pot on the windowsill. Other herbs like coriander and dill might need to be planted into the ground and are a bit higher maintenance.
Grab a jar and mix up mum’s favourite spices. You may need a refillable grinder if you’ve decided to use whole, rather than ground, spices. Check out our spicy selection:
- 2 parts smoked paprika
- 1 part cumin
- 1 part coriander
- ½ part dried oregano
- 2 parts cumin
- 1 part coriander
- 1 part paprika
- ½ part cinnamon
- 2 parts coriander
- 1 part cumin
- ½ part turmeric
- ½ part garam masala
- If your love of baking comes from your mum, enjoy this activity together by cooking up a treat for the whole family. We love our currant carrot loaf and hummingbird muffins.
- Going for a relaxing walk is a great way to connect with mum and exercise at the same time. Victorians, discover the perfect walk for mum at Victoria Walks. Choose from their great range of walks and get the whole crew up and moving. There’s even a list of pooch appropriate walks!
- Serve mum a glass of our finest pine-berry frappe and make a toast to one of the most important women in your life! Now leave her be on the couch — it’s time for her to relax and catch up on her favourite shows.
Super-easy to super-impressive recipes
Quick and easy breakfasts:
- If breakfast in bed is mum’s request on Mother’s Day don’t argue — just whip up our easy banana berry pikelets! These pikelets are light and full of fruity flavour. If apples are mum’s thing swap the blueberries for thin rings of peeled, cored apple.
- These impressive Pesto baked mushrooms with roast tomatoes are actually very easy to make and would be perfect on an autumn morning.
- Do yourself a favour and prep our berry bircher muesli on Mother’s Day eve. It will take the stress off the big day and maximise your time spent with mum. Top it with passionfruit pulp and you’re on to a winner!
“Lunch is served!”
- Wrap it up with our tandoori chicken and salad wraps – the heat of Indian spices teamed with the cooling combination of yoghurt, mint and salad will knock mum’s socks off.
“Dinner’s on the table!”
Treat mum right:
- Add colour to the table with these berry meringue pots. Both sweet and tart, these pots are an explosion of flavour!
As you can see, there are plenty of delicious, easy, healthy and fun ways to spoil mum this Mother’s Day without blowing the budget.
Keen to try one of these or got another great idea to share? Tell us all about it in the comments below.
From the team at LiveLighter, Happy Mother’s Day!